Sunday, July 19, 2009

I have received my assignment: I will be teaching at the Instituto Babel, in Monte Maiz.

Here is a map:


View Larger Map

I don't know much about the place, information comes piecemeal here. Bridges are never crossed before they are come to.

When I was applying for the program, I was perturbed by the fact that there were no papers or contracts or signings, simply the word of mouth. One more cultural difference to go on the list.

Another is the universal greeting here: a kiss on the cheek, which, as an American, took some getting used to. I was very surprised by Maria's greeting when she picked me up at the airport. However, I'm starting to appreciate it. Being so close to someone when you first meet them breaks down barriers that a handshake cannot.

Today, I went to Maria's family home in the suburbs to celebrate her father's birthday (feliz cumpleanos), but ended up spending most of my time napping. Hostel life is not very hospitable, so I am looking forward a great deal to getting a real bed and a real room and quiet, sweet quiet, that rambunctious internationals devoted to a good time cannot.

Regardless, I ate some good lasagna, coffee, cake, and was able to listen in on plenty of conversation en castellano (the term for the Spanish language here). I am getting better all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment