Monday, August 24, 2009

On Being A Foreigner

Yes, I am in a small town, the sort of place where everybody knows everybody, and people tend to grow up here and spend their lives here. I don't think this happens as often in the States, and it makes me wonder, why are things still so geographically consistent here?

But anyways, this fact does something to explain people's reaction to me. In Buenos Aires, I'm just another gringo, just another extranjero, and am far from extraordinary. But here, in Monte Maiz, a little farming town in the heartland of the country, I am exotic, the first of my kind, a phenomenon (which, ironically and appropriately, means 'freak' in Spanish; the word applies to me in both languages).

The result is that people are constantly asking me to come to asados, or visit their homes, or come to the disco with them. Alternatively, they will not speak to me at all, almost as if they are afraid, but more likely they are at a loss of what to say to someone who may not even be able to understand them. Though, I would beg to differ, I cannot pick and choose when I must use Spanish.

But I don't think that explains it entirely, the small-town thing. I think a great deal of it is the culture here. In the States, while we would be just as interested, we would express it rather differently. The biggest difference, I think, is the amount of space which we accord to such outsiders. In the States, we are cautious, tenative; but accept our invitation to dinner, and we will interrogate you endlessly, no matter what language barrier.

Here, though, the invitation/rsvp interaction format is not necessary, but once I ask "mas despacio?" ("more slowly?"), suddenly the dialogue will shut down.

I went to Buenos Aires this past weekend and went to - guess what - THE Star Wars Exhibition. Original props and costumes? Yes. Concept art from the original films? Keep going. Full vehicles used in filming? Man, that was about the sweetest thing I've done in a while, all for about ten dollars.

That's another thing, I'm constantly thinking about the cost of things in terms of the exchange rate here, which definitely works in my favor. Food and drink here is phenomenally cheap: two slices of pizza and a coke is about three dollars, a liter of beer is about two dollars for nicer brands, etc., etc. It's like the whole country is a discount store. But it also makes me wonder about the nature of money and how its value is determined. Hm.

1 comment:

  1. dude, dude, dude, sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete